About Me

My photo
Baker. Cook. Gardener. Animal Lover.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Bounty

See all those tomatoes. I'll be honest with you. I didn't grow 'em. The kids next door did. We have Cal Poly University here in San Luis Obispo and the house next door has "the boys" living there as we call them. They are great kids...very quiet...but they are all gone for the summer...and before they left they said "Help yourself to the tomatoes!". So this morning I took a walk over there..wow....what a bonanza...I filled this whole bowl with Early Girls.
Just before I walked over there I was looking over my Julia searching for something to do with chicken breasts...and after I hit the jackpot I knew it had to be something with tomatoes.

I found this recipe for Supremes de volaille sautees, andalouse. Whole supremes sauteed, white wine sauce with tomato fondue and tarragon. So this is supper tonight here at Farmhouse. With some pasta and a cucumber and avocado salad.... we have plenty if you'd like to come by.

Supremes de volaille sautees, andalouse
Chicken breasts, boned and skinned and pounded slightly
Salt
1/2 cup flour
Olive oil
Butter
Cognac
1 Tablespoon shallots, minced
2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon tarragon
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chicken stock
Parsley
Salt the chicken and dredge in flour
Add some oilve oil and butter to a skillet and heat
Brown the chicken and cook till just about done
Remove the chicken and add the cognac shaking the pan for several seconds
Pour contents of pan into a side dish
Add butter to the pan and saute the shallots for a minute
Add tomatoes and tarragon and cook 2 to 3 minutes
Pour in wine, stock and the cream
Boil hard for several minutes until liquids have reduced and sauce has thickened lightly.
Taste and correct for seasoning
Return chicken to the pan and baste with the sauce
Arrange chicken on a plate with sauce and sprinkle with parsley
Serve

23 comments:

  1. my mouth is watering. those sweet tomatoes
    and that lovely recipe will be divine.

    thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way too funny you must check out my Blog we were both on the same wave length... great minds think alike LOL oxox, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what time should I be there for supper?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my this sounds outstanding...I'll be right over! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. On my way, bringing overnight bag.

    I'll make breakfast!

    xo Jane ( and Nika's coming with)

    ReplyDelete
  6. From what I am reading, it is all about the tomatoes...I was also gifted some yesterday. This recipe seems perfect...the French sure do know their way around a chicken....and thanks to Julia for getting us the recipes.
    ♥, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, that recipe sounds delicious. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what time is dinner? i'll bring the wine...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! I had Weight Watchers for dinner but it was surprisingly good! Enjoy your tomatoes!
    Hugs, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. those tomatoes look so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, right after the movie version of Julie & Julia came out, I saw one of her first edition cookbooks sell on eBay for nearly $1900!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way behind due to school starting.
    Recipe sounds good.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  13. That are beautiful looking tomatoes! There is nothing like fresh summer fruit and vegetables. Their flavors are supreme and juicy. I hope you are enjoying your bounty.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The tomatoes look yummy! I just bought 2 yesterday...for some reason, I just had the urge to have some tomatoes last night...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am making this ASAP! It sounds like heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful looking batch of tomatoes. I am impatiently waiting for mine to turn from green to red. I planted some Julia Child heirlooms this year and am oh so eager to have a juicy taste.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The tomatoes look delicious! And the Julia Child cookbook looks loved! I met Julia many years ago and am lucky enough to have two signed cookbooks by her! Thanks for sharing your Julia recipe with us! http://oceanbreezesandcountrysneezes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummy! :-)


    I have the paperback version of the Julia Child book in your picture.
    My very first American cookbook after The Joy of Cooking (which was my husband's).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, how I love that sign. We too are moving into fall feelings here too. Doesn't really seem early this year. Glad to see someone's tomatoes are still doing well.

    What a great old book? I have the White House's first cookbook around here somewhere.

    Have a nice weekend,
    Glad to have popped by,

    Kate- XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want this dish. Oh, yum.
    And that sign.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such lovely posts Kary, full of sun and home cooking and delicious garden produce. Glad to know that all is well with you and Teddy. You live in a beautiful place. Bye for now, Lesley

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by. I appreciate all your kind comments more than you can know.