About Me

My photo
Baker. Cook. Gardener. Animal Lover.

Monday, October 5, 2009

Treats






We had alot of fun this first full weekend of October. And with a full moon to add to the fun. We were invited to my brothers for a Full Moon Party and my assignment was dessert. I wanted something fun and kid friendly so went with the traditional cupcakes and caramel apple. I got lucky and scored some darling lady apples earlier in the week at the grocery store. I asked her where they got them and the lady said a little old man brought them in from his tree up in a town called Harmony. Population 18. No joke. That's what the sign says. And they aren't kidding. It is small. On Highway One here on the Pacific Coast of California, about 15 minutes south of Hearst Castle. Well, that was all I needed to hear. I was sold. Since then I think I have been back to that store everyday, stocking up on those apples. I have also heard them called Christmas Apples. Whatever you you call them..they are charming.

So we set up shop and made the pumpkin spice cupcakes that were in the October issue of Bon Appetit. (btw all you fellow foodies out there, I just heard this morning that Gourmet magazine is folding...the beloved..after all these years.)

On Saturday I took a ride up See Canyon in the apple orchards looking for apple branches. I was wondering if I was going to have any luck. I took a side road called Pippin Lane (I'm not kidding..that was the name of it.) and I got lucky. There lying on the side of the road ...was a pile of old apple branches. I loaded them into my car and headed home..delighted in my treasure of old apple branches...even the car smelled "apple-ey".

So Sunday morning was our fun cupcake and caramel apple day. And we all had a good time. And it did...feel like Fall.

4 comments:

  1. Kary, I love your Caramel Apples! Nice touch with the twigs! How fun. Great looking cupcakes too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great weekend! I'll bet your desserts were a big hit at the party - they look yummy. I'll have to look for the Lady apples. They look tasty.
    Wouldn't it be nice to live in a town named Harmony? I envision soft sunshine, wooden screen doors with springs that squeak, and dogs sleeping on the front porch. (sigh) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your caramel(do I see chocolate on some of them?) look to die for. It makes me want to make some. I love the idea of using real twigs as the sticks-so creative. What a fun weekend and great start to Oct.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Harvest Moon Party?? Wow - I've never been to one...but if you could have seen our moon this past weekend...it was amazing... big & beautiful & PINK! as it sat above the fall colors before dark ... I tried to get a good pick but it played hide & seek in the trees as we were driving ... & it won!

    I like the twigs in the apples too! Very nice touch :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by. I appreciate all your kind comments more than you can know.