About Me

My photo
Baker. Cook. Gardener. Animal Lover.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Pizza and Syrah






We're LUCKY ! We live in the Paso Robles wine region and we have some beautiful wines here. It really starts to feel like fall when John and I open one of the big red wines. They taste and smell of autumn in the woods. All earthy and jammy and winey. We have been making homemade pizza for Monday Night Football for nearly 30 years.And now we have Sunday Night Football so our new pizza night is Sunday. Any excuse, really. I made the dough in the morning and let it sit on the drainboard all day. When I walked by I could just feel the yeast growing..and it smelled so yeasty and lusty. By evening we opened our wine and rolled out the dough. I sauteed some mushrooms and we put on a few olives. Sometimes I buy "special" cheese....and sometimes I use what we have. Tonight was what we had. And it went pretty well. I had some mozzarella and some leftover fontina and some of the parmigiano-reggiano we had grated for the tagliatelle night.So we sipped our wine, rolled our dough, heated the oven and baked pizzas. We sat in our little cozy living room enjoying pizza and wine.

I told John, we have had pizza all over the U.S. And at some of the "it" places, but I don't know how you could beat this. Maybe it tasted so good just because we were.....HOME.

2 comments:

  1. Love the red and white quilt you have hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my best friends is Kathy Benziger, their winery in Glen Ellen is a magical place. I adore New England, the change of seasons, FOLIAGE!!! and snow but there sure is something all together serene and calm about wine country. Lucky girl.

    If you are ever out in Fairfield County, CT I will have you over for dinner , we will order Conoly pizza, and have some fine wine.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by. I appreciate all your kind comments more than you can know.