About Me

My photo
Baker. Cook. Gardener. Animal Lover.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Let's Talk Fruitcake...Or Not


Well dear friends, we are one week away from Thanksgiving. I have the wreath on the door and have been staring at a box of Christmas lights all morning. Do I dare? Maybe just on the little tree outside the garden door. It would make me very happy. Got some of my yelloware bowls out for Thanksgiving. And I got into RED PLAID to get out Bessies Fruitcake recipe....I know, I said it...Fruitcake. But I am thinking of taking Bessie's recipe..which calls for candied fruit and using dried fruit and nuts instead. You know, like dried cranberries and raisins..dried apple and apricot.And english walnuts. It is so good toasted in the morning with tea.

Rain is forecast for Friday, so I am on my way to the market to get all the ingredients for making french onion soup. I did the one out of my beloved Vincent Price "A Treasury Of Great Recipes" last time which is made with chicken stock.And it was good. But this time I am going to go Julia's way and make the one of her's with beef stock.

The Christmas music is on..the gold finches are at their feeder, Pixiegirl is laying right outside my door getting all that good November morning sun, firewood is stacked and the Thanksgiving grocery list is being made.Only one week to go.Let's enjoy every minute.

6 comments:

  1. I love candied fruit and dried fruit, as well :)
    Please, share this fruitcake recipe ! Please :)

    Have a sweet day !
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! I can just imagine the sweet aromas emanating from the Farmhouse Kitchen in the weeks to come.

    Cheers,

    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, fruitcake. I have fond memories of the dry, hard loaf my mother used to make, in crumpled up foil in the back of the fridge back in the 60's.

    Hey, fun to see you at the manor today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for leaving such a nice comment on my blog. Love your blog too. As for fruitcake, why does it have such a bad wrap? I love it!!
    Have a fantastic Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do I dare admit that I have enjoyed fruitcake in the past? :) But I DO like the dried fruit and nut versions much better.

    I'm glad to see someone else is aching to get the REAL decorations up. I stumbled upon the boxes two weeks ago and sneaked a peak inside at the glitter and shine.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. The problem with fruitcake is that there are so many bad version out there (made with crappy fruit full of chemicals and preservatives) that few people understand what one made with quality dried and candied fruits can be like. Having said that, even a good fruitcake is not to everyone's taste.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by. I appreciate all your kind comments more than you can know.