About Me

My photo
Baker. Cook. Gardener. Animal Lover.

Monday, October 26, 2009

Feeling Cozy



Got into the recipe box and was looking for something that I could make ahead and just put into the oven and not be rushing around making dinner last minute. So I got into Red Plaid and pulled the Meatball Recipe. These aren't the pasta and meatball kind of meatballs. These are the cooking in Campbell's Onion Soup kind of meatballs. This recipe is from my aunt Rose who lives in Santa Cruz. As kids we called her Gog or Goggy. I still don't know what that means or where it came from. She is from Genoa, Italy. Maybe the name came with her all the way from there. I have mentioned her and my uncle Emillio before. We call him Mill. They live on acres and acres in Santa Cruz and are a hard working family in the produce business. If you are up in the bay area and are in a market, mostly likely the twist tie around the carrots will say Maggiolo. That's their last name.

The meatball recipe is hers. And it never fails to please. It is Fall Comfort Food.I usually serve it with white rice tossed in butter and salt.


Meatballs
Recipe of Rose Maggiolo

1 pound ground beef
2 slices bread
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teasppon salt
Pepper
1/2 cup milk
1 can Campbell's Onion Soup

Remove the crust from the bread, break bread up into small pieces. Add ground beef. Add salt and pepper and baking powder. Add milk and let set a few minutes. Shape into 12 balls, roll in flour and place in casserole. ( I love to use my cast iron skillet )Add onion soup and 1 can water. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 to 50 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. hello my dear friend,
    unfortunately i'm not from us... i never even have been to us, even if i would really love to. i'm polish but i have been living in italy since 2006. as i already told you i really love your blog and think that we have a lot in common!
    thank you for stopping by again lately!
    wish you a sweet day!
    justyna

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting meatballs recipes! My husband is the meatball artist. I will have to share it with him...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always have the Onion Soup handy in the pantry, my husband should like this especially with the rice. Keep these great homey recipes coming. It is so nice to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there and thanks for stopping by. I love your recipe box and these meatballs look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm... I love meatballs. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by. I appreciate all your kind comments more than you can know.